I followed this recipe with some minor changes:
- coconut oil instead of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp korean pepper flakes + 1 tsp crushed chiles instead of the red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp mushroom powder instead of the asafetida
- forgot the garam masala
- only 3 cloves garlic because that’s what I had
- omitted the sugar (it was plenty sweet enough)
- increased the fresh coriander to use the full bunch
- added about 3 Tbsp butter toward the end
It turned out really nicely, if not especially spicy. Asafetida is a unique flavour but it’s so smelly I don’t keep it around. The mushroom powder brought up the flavour a bit in its absence.
This could be a new favourite – it tasted great.